Sew Powerful Volunteer Role
Classification: All jobs for Sew Powerful are volunteers
Reports To: Director, Global Volunteerism
Current Incumbent: Various Volunteers
Age Requirement: Minimum 18 years
ROLE OF THE VOLUNTEER
The position of Region Manager is a non-paid, volunteer role, responsible for helping grow Sew Powerful in a specific geographic region. Duties include overseeing the formation and success of Sew Powerful Chapters and Service Projects within the Region, while coordinating activities with appropriate line managers and other Region Managers. Region Managers are the first contact for Chapter Leaders and those interested in joining a Chapter within the Region. Region Managers are passionate Sew Powerful supporters, representing Sew Powerful to active and potential purse makers, sponsors, and others. Region Managers are asked to read and understand the Sew Powerful Mission Statement and Statement of Faith setting forth our Christian beliefs.
The first objective of this position is to increase awareness of Sew Powerful and our mission to engage contributors.
The second objective of the position is to recruit purse makers by supporting and encouraging participation in the various Sew Powerful programs designed to achieve these objectives.
The third object is to secure donations. Donations may be in the form of financial contributions or when needed, in kind donations of items such as fabric, trims, strapping material, etc.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain up to date familiarity with a wide range of Sew Powerful programs designed to recruit and retain purse makers as supporters of Sew Powerful.
- Proactively communicate with leaders within the Region to encourage participation in Chapters, service projects, quilt shows, and other regional events.
- Participate via Zoom in monthly Managers’ and quarterly Chapter Leaders’ meetings.
- Maintain records and report on activities within the Region.
- Organize others to sew purses, collect fabric, and make kits
- Increase public awareness by speaking at civic and church group functions.
- When possible, participate in Quilt Shows by volunteering as the show organizer or booth staff.
- Directly and indirectly, encourage businesses to partner with Sew Powerful for specific programs.
- Participate in brainstorming and prayer as part of the world-wide team.
- Initiative: energetic self-starter motivated to engage others
- Communication: strong verbal skills, and a friendly demeanor.
- Customer focused: comfortable initiating conversations about Sew Powerful
- Results Driven: willing to engage with regional leaders to achieve results.
- Sewing experience: clear understanding of sewing and the Sew Powerful Purse patterns.
- The Sew Powerful Mission and Ministry: understand and support.
- Technology: comfortable reading and writing email messages, participating in Zoom meetings, locating and downloading files.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities. Will coordinate with other positions for the purpose of strategy, communication, and planning. May supervise volunteers on a temporary basis for specific events.
The Director, Global Volunteerism has responsibility for overseeing the successful implementation of programs and activities within the Regions. The Director may ask the Region Manager to provide information, contact individuals and organizations within the Region, set and measure progress against goals, and/or attend events. Participation is at the discretion of the Region Manager but by volunteering for this position, it is assumed that the Region Manager is willing to engage in these activities unless prohibited by prior commitments.
Where Volunteer Activities Take Place
This volunteer position operates in an off-site environment, generally from the Region Manager’s own home but may sometimes occur in retail, private or civic facilities. This role routinely uses the Region Manager’s own standard office equipment such as computers, phones, printers, filing cabinets, etc. The Region Manager will be assigned a Sew Powerful email address, which will be the primary means of communication between the Region Manager and other Sew Powerful volunteers and when representing Sew Powerful to the community at large. Our expectation is that Region Managers check their Sew Powerful email at least twice per week.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this volunteer position.
While performing the duties of this position, the volunteer will be required to talk or hear. The volunteer frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands or fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The volunteer may be asked to lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a volunteer position. Days and hours are determined by the volunteer, in coordination with Sew Powerful leadership, and will fluctuate based on the activities in which they are involved. Participation during evenings and weekends is sometimes required as volunteer duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be necessary for certain volunteer activities. Travel-related expenses (food, lodging, transportation) are always covered by the volunteer
Education and Experience
- Required: Two years or more of successful work experience, intermediate or above sewing skills and ability to warmly engage others in activities to reach a specific goal.
- Preferred: Experience in event organization or project management; some exposure to public speaking is helpful.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the volunteer for this volunteer position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.