Sew Powerful Volunteer Role
Classification: All jobs for Sew Powerful in the outside Zambia are volunteers
Reports To: This position reports to the CFO
The Accountant will prepare financial reports to track the organization’s assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liabilities, and other related financial activities. This position works closely with the CFO and will share duties as assigned. Any of the following essential functions may be included in the volunteer’s workload.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs general accounting and other related duties.
- Prepares periodic (monthly) balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements.
- Maintains the general ledger preparing required journal entries.
- Codes invoices, sets up new accounts, reconciles accounts, and closes the monthly books.
- Reconciles bank accounts at least monthly, verifies deposits, and addresses inquiries from banks.
- Maintains the Donor records and annually issues Donor Statements
- Verifies payment of invoices and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts.
- Works with CFO and outside resources to ensure timely filing of required tax forms with federal, state, and local government agencies.
- As appropriate, coordinates with software vendor to maintain accounting software system; recommends updates to enhance the accounting software.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of general financial accounting.
- Understanding of and ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Highly proficient with accounting software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline required.
- Three to five years of accounting experience required
Interpersonal Skills: The following brief example of interpersonal skills required.
- Communication, strong verbal skills and a friendly demeanor.
- Initiative, energetic self-starter motivated to engage with others in support of the objective of the role and overall Sew Powerful mission
- Results Driven, willing to engage with people at all levels of the organization to achieve the objective of the role.
- Technical Knowledge - clear understanding of financial best practices and regulatory issues.
This position is a non-supervisory position.
This volunteer position is based remotely. Access to high-speed internet and the current version of all Microsoft Office products is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- The volunteer may be asked to lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a volunteer position. Days and hours of work are determined by the volunteer, in coordination with Sew Powerful leadership, and will fluctuate based on the activities in which they are involved. Evening and weekend work may be required as volunteer duties demand.
Travel is not frequent, but may be needed to fulfill the objective of the role.