Sew Powerful Volunteer Job Description
Show Manager Mancuso PA National Quilt Extravaganza, Oaks PA
September 16-19, 2021
Classification: All jobs for Sew Powerful are volunteers
Reports To: Director, Global Volunteerism
This position is designed for a passionate volunteer to be the Show Manager. The volunteer would partner with Sew Powerful management to recruit volunteers for staffing the booth and is also responsible for all activities in the booth.
The objectives of participating in Shows are three-fold: 1-To recruit purse makers to sew the Sew Powerful purses and donate them back to be used to help keep girls in school in Zambia. 2-To bring awareness of Sew Powerful to the sewing community in attendance at the Show. 3- To accept monetary donations to help defray the cost of participating in the Show by offering provided Sew Powerful ‘merch’.
Recruiting purse makers is the most critical part of our ministry and the Show Manager and Booth Workers must understand our purpose and our process for serving these children.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Once Sew Powerful has been accepted as a vendor at the show, the Show Manager is responsible for the following…
- Booth set up - ensure all the necessary items are available and ready to be set up in the booth by the start of the show. Ensure adequate volunteers are available for booth set up, shift work, and booth tear-down.
- Booth staffing - preparing the booth schedule and confirming with each volunteer that the schedule will work for them. Sew Powerful will help to recruit booth volunteers through the weekly newsletter, job postings on the website and other advertising.
- A pre-show Zoom call is required to answer questions and confirm the staffing schedule.
- On-site training for booth volunteers must be done hands on with one experienced person working with a new volunteer for their first shift.
- Daily the manager will ensure the booth is appropriately staffed and cover any open shifts with volunteers.
- Donor Dinner - for each show we like to invite all the booth staff and other interested donors for a dinner to meet and enjoy learning from each other. Each person covers the cost of their own meal. The Show Manager will act as host and will be responsible for securing the venue, making and confirming reservations (often necessary weeks in advance), and making sure the invitations are sent.
- Securing, reporting and submitting monetary donations collected during the Show.
- Stowing and/or securing Show merchandise inventory overnight during multi-day events.
- Booth Tear Down: The Show Manager will responsible for taking down the booth per the Show schedule, storing or shipping any items as required to keep the booth moving to the next show. Purses collected at the show will be shipped to the home office.
- The Show Manager is also responsible for complying with the rules and local regulations of the venue and the Show organizers. Following registration these documents are provided to the Show Manager.
- Good interpersonal skills – must be able to manage all types of volunteers with grace and dignity. Must be comfortable talking to others about Sew Powerful.
- Project Management – must be able to plan, organize, and execute the many details required to successfully exhibit for Sew Powerful at a major show. Guidelines and checklists will be provided.
- Service mindset – must embrace Sew Powerful as a ministry that serves impoverished children in Africa and be willing to ask others for help in this ministry.
Will supervise volunteers on a temporary basis during the Show, but otherwise, this position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates at professional Shows or similar events. They are normally held in major cities and convention facilities. Nearly all the work is done inside, although moving booth contents to and from your vehicle will likely involve being outside. Smaller events such as fairs or farmers markets may be held outside in the weather.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the volunteer will be required to talk or hear. The volunteer frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The volunteer may be asked to lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 30 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a volunteer position. Days and hours of work are determined by the volunteer, in coordination with Sew Powerful leadership, and will fluctuate based on the activities in which they are involved. Evening and weekend work frequently may be required as volunteer duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be necessary for certain volunteer activities. All travel expenses are covered by the volunteer as a donation to Sew Powerful.
Required Education and Experience
No previous experience is required. Experience organizing events such as trade shows is helpful or retail experience serving customers and handling monies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the volunteer for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.