Sew Powerful Volunteer Role
Quilt Show Co-Manager- QuiltCon, Atlanta, GA
February 23-26, 2023
Classification: All jobs for Sew Powerful are unpaid volunteers
Reports To: National Show Manager
Current Incumbent: Various Volunteers
Age Requirement: Minimum 18 years
ROLE OF THE VOLUNTEER
The Quilt Show Co-Manager Volunteers are jointly responsible for the successful planning and execution of the Sew Powerful Quilt Show booth. The Quilt Show Co-Managers will work closely to harmoniously plan, organize, order supplies for, set-up/take-down, schedule and train staff, display purses and merchandise all components of the Sew Powerful booth.
The first objective of this position is to increase awareness of Sew Powerful and our mission at this Quilt Show.
Our Mission: Sew Powerful exists to combat extreme poverty by creating jobs that provide training and tools to facilitate the creation of purposeful products. These include purses, school uniforms, reusable hygiene pads, soap, and farm fresh food. All designed to promote and enable the academic success of children throughout Zambia, while providing the dignity of work for adults.
The second objective is to recruit purse makers. The Sew Powerful Purse is the packaging for the reusable hygiene products and the soap. The Purse is a gift to the girls and an encouragement to stay in school.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. (More detail included on the final page of this job description.)
- Using a computer, email, Zoom, and telephone to communicate with other volunteers to plan and organize materials and supplies for this Quilt Show
- Coordinate volunteers time to staff the booth during set-up, take-down, and show times
- Ensuring all show rules and regulations are taken into consideration for staffing times, how purses, materials and merchandise are displayed, and providing required documents (with assistance from the National Show Manager)
- Planning and co-hosting a local group meal during the show dates, where each attendee covers cost of their own meal
- Handing out the Sew Powerful flyer and speaking to show attendees about Sew Powerful and how they can help keep girls in school by sewing a purse.
- Asking show attendees for donations in exchange for Sew Powerful merchandise featured in the booth, which may include fat quarters, webbing, ribbon packs, purse kits, books, and/or printed patterns.
- Handling retail donations for the above, ensuring security of cash and credit card readers.
- Reporting results of the show to the National Show Manager, to include financial donations received, count of flyers distributed, major contacts made.
- Communication, strong verbal skills and a friendly demeanor.
- Customer Focus, most be comfortable initiating the conversation with the show attendee and potential purse seamstress.
- Initiative, energetic self-starter motivated to engage others in the Sew Powerful mission.
- Results Driven, willing to engage with Show Management to achieve the event results.
- Technical Knowledge, clear understanding of sewing and the Sew Powerful Purse pattern.Understand and support the Sew Powerful Mission and Ministry.
This position is not a supervisory position. May coordinate with other positions for the purpose of strategy, communication and planning of the specific event for which you volunteer.
This job operates in an off-site environment at a specific event location, generally a public facility such as a convention center or public market. This role routinely uses a smart phone for communication and retail transactions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the volunteer will be required to talk or hear. The volunteer frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The volunteer may be asked to lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a volunteer position. Days and hours of work are determined by the volunteer, in coordination with Sew Powerful leadership, and will fluctuate based on the activities in which they are involved. Evening and weekend work frequently may be required as volunteer duties demand.
Any necessary travel, lodging and/or meals will be at the expense of the volunteer. For volunteers living outside the immediate area of the Quilt Show, overnight lodging would likely be necessary.
Required Education and Experience
- No specific education or work experience is required, however experience in planning events or projects would be a helpful skill.
- Having worked in a booth for Sew Powerful or exhibited for other organizations would be of benefit.
- Attention to detail and a willingness to keep good records is a must.
- A passion for Sew Powerful is necessary to successfully engage others while working in the booth.
- A general knowledge of sewing and the Sew Powerful ministry is very helpful.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the volunteer for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.