Sew Powerful Volunteer Job Description
Public & Media Coordinator
Classification: All jobs for Sew Powerful are volunteers
Reports To: Social Media Team Lead
This position will coordinate and oversee all opportunities for media engagement (Print, TV, On-line) involving Sew Powerful. At the direction of Sew Powerful leadership, will serve as a spokesperson for Sew Powerful.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Initiate and manage contact with media outlets as needed and directed for earned media opportunities.
- Respond to media requests as needed (information, photos, contacts, etc.).
- Serve as an official spokesperson for Sew Powerful.
- Archive all print and electronic media pertaining to Sew Powerful.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Public speaking.
- Strong computer skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills. Strong follow through.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities. Will interact with many other positions for communication and coordination.
This job operates in a professional office environment, off site venues and outside event areas in various weather conditions. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the volunteer is regularly required to talk or hear. The volunteer frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The volunteer may be asked to lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a volunteer position. Days and hours of work are determined by the volunteer, in coordination with Sew Powerful leadership, and will fluctuate based on the activities in which they are involved. Evening and weekend work frequently may be required as volunteer duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be necessary for certain volunteer activities.
Required Education and Experience
- Three years or more of successful work or other experience in this or a related field.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Prior experience in the media, or in a position coordinating media contact.
- Prior experience creating and implementing strategic media contact campaigns.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Willingness to engage and strongly participate in activities of the organization.
- Heart for serving others to promote success with purposeful products.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the volunteer for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.