Sew Powerful Volunteer Job Description
Booth Volunteer Sewing & Stichery Expo, Puyallup Washington
February - March 27-1
Classification: All jobs for Sew Powerful are volunteers
Reports To: Show Manager – varies by show
Current Incumbent: Various Volunteers
The Booth Volunteer is responsible for working a specific time in the Sew Powerful exhibit booth at the show for which they volunteer. The volunteer will be talking to potential purse makers to engage them with the ministry as purse makers or volunteers in a different capacity.
The objective of this position is to increase awareness of Sew Powerful and our mission.
We exist to combat extreme poverty in a very challenging place called Ngombe Compound in Lusaka Zambia. We do that by equipping community members with jobs as well as training, tools, and technical skills to make what we call “Purposeful Products”. Products that can bless local children and empower their academic success.
And to recruit purse makers. The Sew Powerful Purse is the packaging for the reusable hygiene products and the soap. The Purse is a gift to the girls and an encouragement to stay in school.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. (More detail included on the final page of this job description.)
- Handing out our purse flyer and speaking to show attendees about Sew Powerful and how they can help keep girls in school by sewing a purse.
- Asking show attendees for donations in exchange for the items featured in the booth, primarily purse kits, books, and printed patterns.
- Handling retail donations for the above.
- Communication, strong verbal skills and a friendly demeanor.
- Customer Focus, most be comfortable initiating the conversation with the show attendee and potential purse seamstress.
- Initiative, energetic self-starter motivated to engage others in the Sew Powerful mission.
- Results Driven, willing to engage with Show Management to achieve the event results.
- Technical Knowledge, clear understanding of sewing and the Sew Powerful Purse pattern.Understand and support the Sew Powerful Mission and Ministry.
This position is not a supervisory position. May coordinate with other positions for the purpose of strategy, communication and planning of the specific event for which you volunteer.
This job operates in an off-site environment at a specific event location, generally a public facility such as a convention center or public market. This role routinely uses a smart phone for communication and retail transactions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the volunteer will be required to talk or hear. The volunteer frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The volunteer may be asked to lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a volunteer position. Days and hours of work are determined by the volunteer, in coordination with Sew Powerful leadership, and will fluctuate based on the activities in which they are involved. Evening and weekend work frequently may be required as volunteer duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be necessary for certain volunteer activities.
Required Education and Experience
- No specific education or work experience is required. A passion for Sew Powerful is necessary to successfully engage others while working in the booth. And a general knowledge of sewing is helpful.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the volunteer for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.