Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. This parable teaches us that we can be poor in material things, yet rich in faith and joy.
Miss Evelyn’s Joy
ABOUT THIS PARABLE
- Concept: Jane is a high achieving high school student who volunteers at the local foodbank. One of her favorite foodbank users is Miss Evelyn, an older woman who provides food for her neighbors in need. Although not wealthy herself, Miss Evelyn shares freely with others what she has. Jane decides to do something nice just for Miss Evelyn and buys gifts for her. On her next visit to the foodbank, Jane discovers that Miss Evelyn has given away the gifts to friends and neighbors. Upset, Jane confronts Miss Evelyn and receives a lesson in the essence of Joy.
- Story Origin: Original
- Setting: Local Foodbank/span>
- True joy is not found in “things,” but in being generous to others in God’s name.
- Those who we may view as “poor” in material things are often rich in faith and joy.
- Key Bible Verse: Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor inspirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Written and Narrated by Dana Buck
- Additional voices provided by Ruth Mwawasi, Fiona Williams and Terri Williams
- Devotional Thoughts Narrated by Kim Pratt
- Produced by Beneath Blue Skies Productions
- Music Credit – Adobe Music: “Pop Folk Hopeful”, “Meaningful”,”Vibrant”,”Moving Piano Solo”,”Piano Cinematic Insprational”
ABOUT SEW POWERFUL PARABLES
Sew Powerful Parables will tickle your funny bone, touch your heart and offer you a new way to experience God’s truth. Jesus often used parables to communicate His most important messages. Dana Buck picks up that tradition in a poetic, rhyming style that makes listening easy and enjoyable. All ages will love these stories full of memorable characters, insightful lessons and just plain fun.
After retiring from a 38-year career with the Christian non-profit organization, World Vision, Dana Buck now devotes himself full time to writing, speaking, and mentoring. His Sew Powerful Parables continue to grow in popularity as they charm audiences, readers and listeners. He is a Charter Board member for the nonprofit organization Sew Powerful, where he lends his expertise to further their mission of combating extreme poverty by training, equipping and empowering women and girls in the developing world. Dana resides in the greater Seattle area with his wife Grace and their neurotic cat. They have two children, Jared and Alyssa, and Alyssa is married to son-in-law, Ivan. No grandchildren yet, but Ivan and Alyssa do own and share their beautiful grand-dog, Odin. Reach Dana with comments or suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.