What could cause a man to become the most wealthy – and most despised man in town? And what would it take to find redemption?
ABOUT THIS PARABLE
Concept: Based on the Gospel account found in Luke 19:1-10. Zacchaeus is a very wealthy Jewish chief tax collector. Since tax collectors were appointed by Rome and grew rich by cheating the population, Zacchaeus was doubly despised. When he hears Jesus is visiting the town, he joins a crowd following Jesus as he walks. But being a small man, Zacchaeus cannot see Jesus. So, he runs ahead of the crowd and climbs a tree. When Jesus comes by and sees Zacchaeus in the tree, the crowd anticipates that Jesus will condemn him. Instead, Jesus invites Himself to stay at Zacchaeus’ home. This leads to Zacchaeus repenting and repaying everyone he has cheated.
This story fictionally explores the reason Zacchaeus became a tax collector and his motives for doing everything he could to even get a glimpse of Jesus.
- Story Origin: The Bible – Luke 19:1-10
- Setting: New Testament Israel
- Cruelty and abuse can cause anyone to make poor life decisions.
- Vengeance and wealth will never bring true happiness.
- We will “find” Jesus when we seek Him with all we have.
- Forgiveness is available to all through repentance.
- Key Bible Verse: Luke 19:1-4 A man was there by the names of Zacchaeus; he was the chief tax collector and was wealthy. He wanted to see who Jesus was but, being a short man, he could not because of the crowd. So, he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.
- Additional Verses Referenced:Jeremiah 29:13
- Written and Narrated by Dana Buck
- Devotional Thoughts Narrated by Kim Pratt
- Produced by Beneath Blue Skies Productions
- Music Credit: Adobe Music - “Sheikhdom”, “Over the Dunes”, “Searching Through Sand”, “Crossroads”, “Desert Winds”, “Slither”, “Jerusalem Story”, “Rain Will Fall”, “Moments of Revelation”, “Revelation”, “Pipe Dreams”
ABOUT SEW POWERFUL PARABLES
Sew Powerful Parables will tickle your funny bone, touch your heart and offer you a new way to experience God’s truth. Jesus often used parables to communicate His most important messages. Dana Buck picks up that tradition in a poetic, rhyming style that makes listening easy and enjoyable. All ages will love these stories full of memorable characters, insightful lessons and just plain fun.
After retiring from a 38-year career with the Christian non-profit organization, World Vision, Dana Buck now devotes himself full time to writing, speaking, and mentoring. His Sew Powerful Parables continue to grow in popularity as they charm audiences, readers and listeners. He is a Charter Board member for the nonprofit organization Sew Powerful, where he lends his expertise to further their mission of combating extreme poverty by training, equipping and empowering women and girls in the developing world. Dana resides in the greater Seattle area with his wife Grace and their neurotic cat. They have two children, Jared and Alyssa, and Alyssa is married to son-in-law, Ivan. No grandchildren yet, but Ivan and Alyssa do own and share their beautiful grand-dog, Odin. Reach Dana with comments or suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.