No matter how prepared we think we are, we need to listen for the voice of God. This familiar bible story reminds us to listen to that calling from the shore.
Pete, Tom, Nate, Jim & John
ABOUT THIS PARABLE
- Concept:A tale based on the story of the great catch of fish found in John 21. The disciples have returned to the Sea of Galilee after Jesus’ death and resurrection. While fishing all night and catching nothing, a voice calls from the shore, “Throw your net to the other side.” The disciples eventually recognize this as the voice of Jesus. They drop their net, and the catch is huge. This story humorously depicts them as skilled but leaderless and is a tribute to how Jesus skillfully molded them into an effective unit.
- Story Origin: An original work of fiction set against the New Testament story of the great catch of fish.
- Setting: New Testament Israel
- Precept(s): No matter how skilled or proficient we are, we still need to listen to the “voice from the shore.”
- Key Bible Verse: John 21:5-6 He called out to them, “Friends, have you caught any fish?” “No,” they answered. He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul in the net because of the large number of fish.
- Written and Narrated by Dana Buck
- Devotional Thoughts Narrated by Kim Pratt
- Produced by Beneath Blue Skies Productions
- Music Credit: “Montauk Point” Kevin MacLeod (incomptech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 license creativecommone.org/license/by/3.0/
ABOUT SEW POWERFUL PARABLES
Sew Powerful Parables will tickle your funny bone, touch your heart and offer you a new way to experience God’s truth. Jesus often used parables to communicate His most important messages. Dana Buck picks up that tradition in a poetic, rhyming style that makes listening easy and enjoyable. All ages will love these stories full of memorable characters, insightful lessons and just plain fun.
After retiring from a 38-year career with the Christian non-profit organization, World Vision, Dana Buck now devotes himself full time to writing, speaking, and mentoring. His Sew Powerful Parables continue to grow in popularity as they charm audiences, readers and listeners. He is a Charter Board member for the nonprofit organization Sew Powerful, where he lends his expertise to further their mission of combating extreme poverty by training, equipping and empowering women and girls in the developing world. Dana resides in the greater Seattle area with his wife Grace and their neurotic cat. They have two children, Jared and Alyssa, and Alyssa is married to son-in-law, Ivan. No grandchildren yet, but Ivan and Alyssa do own and share their beautiful grand-dog, Odin. Reach Dana with comments or suggestions at email@example.com.