The Story of the Rich Young Ruler. But this one starts where you’ve always heard it end. A story of God’s redemption.
The Needle’s Eye
ABOUT THIS PARABLE
- Concept: The Needle’s eye incorporates the story of the Rich Young Ruler, alongside the arrest, trial, death, and resurrection of Jesus. This tale is told through the eyes of the rich young ruler who walked away from Jesus after asking what he needed to do to attain eternal life. After listing several things that the man had already accomplished, Jesus said to him, “There is still one more thing that you lack. Sell all your possessions, give the money to the poor and only then follow me.” He walks away from Jesus, as he is very rich. Our story begins once he leaves Jesus and culminates in the garden after Jesus’s resurrection. The events along the way transform the man’s life.
- Story Origin: An original work of fiction set against the tale of the Rich Young Ruler and the death and resurrection of Jesus found in the New Testament.
- Setting: New Testament Israel
- Religion alone does not make us worthy for eternal life. It is a question of the heart.
- The love of our possessions can interfere with our love for God.
- Even if we initially reject Him, God will continue to pursue us.
- Forgiveness and redemption are always available through Jesus.
- Key Bible Verse: Mark 10:21-22 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” He said. “Go and sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come follow me.” At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad because he had great wealth.
- Additional Verses Referenced: Romans 5:8
- Written and Narrated by Dana Buck
- Devotional Thoughts Narrated by Kim Pratt
- Produced by Beneath Blue Skies Productions
- Music Credit: “Eternal Hope” Kevin MacLeod (incomptech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 license creativecommons.org/license/by/3.0/
ABOUT SEW POWERFUL PARABLES
Sew Powerful Parables will tickle your funny bone, touch your heart and offer you a new way to experience God’s truth. Jesus often used parables to communicate His most important messages. Dana Buck picks up that tradition in a poetic, rhyming style that makes listening easy and enjoyable. All ages will love these stories full of memorable characters, insightful lessons and just plain fun.
After retiring from a 38-year career with the Christian non-profit organization, World Vision, Dana Buck now devotes himself full time to writing, speaking, and mentoring. His Sew Powerful Parables continue to grow in popularity as they charm audiences, readers and listeners. He is a Charter Board member for the nonprofit organization Sew Powerful, where he lends his expertise to further their mission of combating extreme poverty by training, equipping and empowering women and girls in the developing world. Dana resides in the greater Seattle area with his wife Grace and their neurotic cat. They have two children, Jared and Alyssa, and Alyssa is married to son-in-law, Ivan. No grandchildren yet, but Ivan and Alyssa do own and share their beautiful grand-dog, Odin. Reach Dana with comments or suggestions at email@example.com.